Thursday, April 16, 2009

Post # 16 - Genetic testing

I spent the day with my Mum today, we just hung out and did stuff she wanted to do like visit nurseries to check out what vegetable plants she can put in her garden for winter and just basically had a look around at stuff she wanted to look at.

We also had a talk about genetic testing and what I’ll do should the tests come back positive.

For those new to this blog, my Mum was diagnosed with breast cancer last year: See blog entry here Since then she’s had a few operations, gone through radium etc and is now on medication for the next five years in the hope that it will fix her up and she’ll be back to her old pre-cancer self.

Because of my Mum having breast cancer, I’m eligible to have genetic testing so see if I’m a carrier of the gene that causes breast cancer, and if I am what I’ll do with that information. I told her straight out, that if the tests come back that I have the gene – I’ll book in as soon as I can to have a double mastectomy. I’m not ‘precious’ over my breasts, I don’t have much to begin with, in fact sometimes my wonder bra wonders why I bother. I can get away without a bra at all. Sure people ‘stare’ at your chest trying to work out if you’re male or female. But to be honest I don’t give a fuck! If this test comes back that I have a gene that could mutate and give me cancer. I’ll be removing the area that the mutation could occur before there’s any chance of it occurring.

Basically my Mum’s supportive of whatever decision I make. However having said that I may get tested and find out I’m not a carrier of the gene. This means I’ll just continue on as I do now.

With this entry having quite a serious subject matter in it, I’ll finish up here. I’ve had some other things I wanted to cover – but there’s plenty more BEDA days left to share all those little ‘insightful thoughts’ I have in random places like filling my car up with petrol, or washing the dishes. Until future BEDA posts…..

That’s all I’ve got.

No comments: