Saturday, April 18, 2009

Post # 18 Novel in 10 lines

It's difficult to image that someone can write a novel in ten lines. Finola Moorehead has achieved this feat. We were asked in our writing class to write a 'story' in ten lines. This is what I came up with.

The last words out of Shane’s mouth were I love you
Cody sat in his car, crying too much to drive.
Michael sat on the riverbank waiting for something to bite his line.
Carmel smoked cigarettes in a coffee shop down town.
Adrian left a note telling everyone he was sorry.
Shane served another customer, selling them a bottle of coke with their petrol.
Carmel sipped her coffee as smoke filled her lungs, exhaling with a sigh.
Michel caught an old shoe, before chucking the entire rod in the river.
Shane, Cody, Michael and Carmel meet outside the church.
Together they bid farewell to Adrian.


I'm about to submit it to be marked so I'll let you know how I got on. It was a bit of a novelty to get something out in ten lines. Finola Moorehead did a much better job than I did (Clearly as she's a well published author and I'm not) however it was still a very interesting insight to look at the ways in which we get our stories across and with the limit of ten lines... Well you have to pick and choose just what you put in and what you leave out.

I'm feeling a bit better today, still Urgh though. But I'll get over it.

That's all I've got

** Due to the way this blog is formatted it dosen't stick to 'ten' lines. However it is ten lines when it's seen in a word processing program.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

definitely an interesting exercise. I'll have to try this one sometime.