Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Post # 8 When I grow up I wanna be.....

There was a news article on TV the other day about offering four year old children career advice... FOUR years old. I just shook my head and uttered the words.. For Fuck Sake! When I was four I remember being upset that I didn't have rockets that fired out of my feet like Astroboy because at four I wanted to be Astro! So what would my career advice be today if my four year old self told the career adviser at preschool that I wanted to be Astro boy?!? Would they have told me not to be stupid, have me committed and put on medication for my 'issues' or would one of those career councillors have stated that I have a lively imagination and perhaps I should look at a career in the 'arts'!?!

Is this political correctness on ADHD medication? Has someone cracked out the Ritalin when they don't need it and it's made their entire system go a little 'too fast'?

How many four year olds know what they want to be at that age? I spoke to my little nephew who is three and a bit today on the phone. When I asked him what he wanted to be when he was bigger he answered 'A Horse' - Clearly we're related after all we both want extremely unobtainable career paths!...

Now where did I leave my sonic screwdriver!?

That's all I've got.

No comments: