Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama’s inauguration

It’s not often that a moment in history unfolds before you – enabling you to watch ‘history in the making’ sorry to flog a dead horse in ‘pun’ land there. *lol* as I throw in a double pun!

I’m off to get an early night so I can set my alarm to get up at about 2am to see Barack Obama’s inauguration. Whilst my friend commented that it will be repeated at lunchtime later that day – I explained that it wasn’t the same as watching it live. Those snippets of his hand on the bible etc will be played over and over in news broadcasts for the next week probably. But to see it live for the first time whilst it’s ‘really’ happening, it is a once in a life time experience.

In the lead up to this event I watched various interviews with people who have gathered in Washington DC to be there in the flesh to watch this event. One lady had purchased a t-shirt, with some sort of slogan along with a picture of Barack Obama’s face on it, explaining to the news reporter who was interviewing her that this would be given to her grandchildren so that in the future they will be able to say that their grandmother was there to witness the first African American president to be sworn into office. The look of joy and hope on this woman’s face was such an uplifting feeling. I think the majority of Americans are once again proud to call themselves American after years of embarrassment from Bush.

It also made me think of a program I watched on white supremacist groups in America which aired just before Hilary Clinton stepped down from the race against Barack Obama. This troubled individual made a huge statement saying ‘If a black man was to become the president of the ‘free world’ I’ll shoot myself in the face.’ I’m looking forward to that live cross once Obama has been made ‘official’ just to know that one less racist moron is no longer breathing or worse still possibly breeding!

If you’re watching this historic event, all I can say is enjoy the moment.


That’s all I’ve got.

No comments: