Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Five Books

I thought about this entry while I was away, jotted down some notes and here I am sharing it with you.

If you had to pick five books all from 'different' genres (I use different liberally as some genres kinda mould into one another) What five would you choose to recommend to others and why?

Here is my list:

Romance / period piece: Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë - I read this book at school when I was 14 and I really enjoyed it. Of all the books I've read from this 'period' aka Austin, Bronte sisters etc. This wins each and every time.

Horror: Hater by David Moody - Hands down the best book I've read in some time. You want to know what it's like for a zombie? Cause zombie's have feelings too you know!! Moody tells the story from the un-dead rotting flesh point of view.

Science-Fiction: The Time Machine by H. G. Wells + Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - When it comes to Sci-fi I can't split Wells and Bradbury. Both prolific world creators re futuristic settings. If you've not read either, I highly recommend both.


Autobiography / Memoir: Tigers Eye by Inga Clendinnen. I read this book as part of my Uni course. This woman's story was remarkable and I could relate to it (She tells a story of going through liver failure) My uncle died of liver failure and when I read this book, it in a way allowed me to see the world for a moment through his eyes. Clendinnen writing style is amazing and this piece is one of the best books I've ever read.


So pick five from various genres that you like, tell me a little about it and I'll add some to my reading list.

That's all I've got

2 comments:

ScoMan said...

Horror - Audrey Rose, Frank de Felitta
A fantastic book that made me see the world differently, if only for a little while.

Biography - Warren Buffet and the Business of Life.
He's an interesting man who has lead a very interesting life. I notice that when it comes to eating habits, I have quite a few things in common with Warren (his attitude is "Don't give me anything you wouldn't give to a three year old")

Comedy- Blind Faith, Ben Elton
Ben writes about a world gone mad with religion that turns away from medicine and science. Okay, so it might not sound like a comedy.. but it is.. kind of.. I swear!

Fantasy - The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, C S Lewis
Loved the Narnia books as a kid. Still do. Let's face it, TLTWATW is everyone's favourite of the series.

Crime - Dexter By Design, Jeff Lindsay
As far as Dexter goes, I loved the TV show first but I think I love the books more. The TV show and the books use the same characters (somewhat) but they go down two very different paths (other than the first series and the first book)
I chose this one out of the series because it has a chapter that will haunt me always.

I'm going to throw in a sixth.. because I can..

Action- Scarecrow, Matthew Reily
I think this is part of a series, and it might be the second or third book in the series, and I should probably look at getting the others. I got it cheap when I bought a couple of other books (they had a "Spend $25 or more and get any of these books for only $10" deal happening), and I enjoyed the book. Pretty much non-stop from go to whoa, which is what you want from action.

Kimberly said...

Romance - Nicolas Sparks. Not your average novels. There isn't always a happy ending.

Horror - John Saul's The Devil's Labyrinth - one of the few horror novels that actually made me gag.
I also have to agree with Sco with Audrey Rose too...

Memoir - Memoirs of an Invisible Man by H.F. Saint. I have no idea why I just absolutely LOVE this book!


Crime books, I'd have to say that Tami Hoag, Ashes to Ashes was my favorite all time crime novel. It wasn't boring or outlandish, and read quickly and I couldn't put it down for anything!

Fantasy books, ones that involve dragons, witches, stuffs like that. I'm partial to Gregory Mcquire - Wicked - Confessions of the Ugly Stepsister, turning old favorite stories into new or twisted versions of their old selves!