Thursday, November 6, 2008

History unfolding before me

I was fortunate enough to finish work early yesterday to make it home in time to see Barack Obama’s full acceptance speech. It was history in the making and even though I’m not a citizen of America – I am a citizen of the world. I for one am happy America voted for Obama. He was the right candidate for the job, and I feel he will do his utmost to assist not only his country, but the world in getting back on track. Come to think of it, if you want to be really simplistic – it will be nice to see the leader of the ‘free world’ with a brain!

Whilst I sat and watched Obama speak to the world, and watch history unfold, it made me stop and think what other milestones I’ve witnessed, not all first hand and live, but I remember thinking at the time – this will be a historic event.

I’ve compiled a list of things that I’ve experienced in my lifetime i.e the ones I remember! I’ll be showing just how ‘old’ I am from this list!

VHS outdoes BETA in VCR technology
Cassette tapes, and ‘walkmans!’
Commodore 64 computers
Atari’s
Rainbow Warrior Sunk
Soviets nuclear disaster at Chernobyl
Halley's comet
Compact Disk technology
Nasa’s Challenger shuttle explodes
Berlin wall comes down
Pro- Democracy rallies in Tiananmen Square
Exxon Valdez runs aground
Hillsborough disaster
Personal computers for ‘home’ use released
The internet made available for public use
Iraq attacks Kurds in Northern Iraq
Gulf war begins
Hubble Telescope launched
Microsoft releases Windows 3.1 (This was the OS on my parents first PC – it had 4mb of RAM!!!)
Mobile phone technology
Search engine Google is founded.
DVD technology
Nelson Mandela is elected President of South Africa
Duke Nukem 3D Shareware released to public (I loved this game!)
Bill Clinton becomes the 42nd President of the United States
Tony Blair becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
Mother Teresa dies in Calcutta
Diana Princess of Wales is killed in a car crash
Nelson Mandela retires
September 11 attacks
United States invasion of Iraq due to an imminent threat from weapons of mass destruction
Columbine high school shootings
The Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrates upon re-entry
Human Genome Project
Saddam Hussein is captured by U.S. forces
London bombings
Virginia Tech Campus shootings
Terrorist attack on Glasgow Airport
Kevin Rudd becomes Prime minister of Australia (Thank god!)
Australia’s new PM says ‘sorry’ to the stolen generation
World financial crisis
Barrack Obama becomes 44th president of the United States

2 comments:

SharpFinale said...

i was here from "DVD technology" and forward:)

JustSal said...

Now I really feel old! Thanks for the comment