Friday, September 3, 2010

What is in a name?

Everyone has a name. Mine is Sally (Though most people call me Sal)

I went out today with my mum, and whilst we were out we spoke about all kinds of things. But the most interesting was how I got to be called Sally.

Originally I was going to be called Cindy (My father’s choice!) – However the lady next door to my parents around the time of my impending birth called her dog Cindy… So Cindy got scrubbed (THANK FUCK!)

So the next suggestion was my mum’s. She had a primary school friend called Sally. To my mum Sally was her best friend, she was nice, kind and a gentle little girl, who obviously had an impact on my mum’s life (My mum’s upbringing wasn’t very nice) So to honor this childhood friend of hers. She named me after her.

What I’d like to do is try and track this Sally down. (Possibility of this is slim I know). But as I sat opposite my mum at lunch, and listened to her talk about Sally, you could see the pure joy in her eyes for this little childhood friend, as she recalled her memories of them together. I asked her what happened to Sally. She said her family moved to Sydney, and she never seen her again.

So, I’m going to try and find Sally for my mum. Why? Because with technology such as the internet it makes these things a ‘little’ easier. But also because I think it would be lovely to re-unite them.

As I embark on mission ‘Find Sally’ I’ll keep you all updated. In the meantime. How did you get your name? Were you named after a relative, or a friend of your parents? Or was your name just chosen at random? Did you parents wait until you where born to name you, waiting to see what you looked like, so they could say ‘He looks like a Mathew, or she looks like a Melanie’

Let me know – comment away people.. You know you want too.

That’s all I’ve got.

1 comment:

ScoMan said...

Good luck on your quest. Would be mega #rad if you could track her down =D

My mum has told me how my name was chosen, but I forget now. Obviously it wasn't very interesting.

It may have been "We just liked the name"